20 Mar Tips When Visiting – The ABC Islands
- The one word you should know: Bonbini meaning “Welcome.” (pronounced exactly how it is spelled-spoken when greeting someone)
- Never remove anything from dive sites and reefs; it is illegal to do so.
- Never wear jewelry when snorkeling or diving. Caribbean fish, like the barracuda are drawn to shiny objects that may resemble small silver fish (their prey).
- The islands have many secluded beaches, they are very inviting but be careful. Never go or swim alone, you may be the only one around should help be needed.
- The currency used are the Netherlands Antilles Florin (Bonaire & Curacao) and Aruba Florin (Aruba), but the universal currency accepted everywhere is the US dollar.
- Make sure the scooter you rent is in good working order, and that there is no damage to the frame before you drive it off the lot.
- Dutch and Papiamento are the official languages but English is widely spoken.
- For more information on The ABC Islands check-out these websites: www.aruba.com, www.curacao and www.tourismbonaire.com www.arubaostrichfarm.com, www.nyups.org/video/antilla-wreck-in-aruba (video) www.kurahulanda.com/lodge, www.blueskieshelicopters.com